- Georgene Johnson (Long-Term Care Center)
- Julia Smith (Emergency Room) – Email: email@example.com, Website – Duties: light cleaning, room turnover, clerical tasks, couriering items to different departments; if there is time, there are opportunities to shadow the physicians.
Northfield EMS Explorer
- Website (or email Julia Smith)
- Entails being a role player/pretend patient for scenarios
- During the summer, NARAP needs help with enrolling people in clinical studies (for example, a tobacco cessation study). Volunteer approximately four hours per week as a Research Associate (RA)
Feed My Starving Children
Ole Spring Relief!
Volunteering in the Health Field
- HealthFinders works to be an access point to anyone looking to get healthy in greater Rice County. Patient Advocacy, referrals, and wellness programs reach out to all those looking to access health or health care. At this time, HealthFinders clinical programs are limited to those who are uninsured, or underinsured. Consider the various volunteering opportunities for students through HealthFinders. More information at:
A Day in the Life of an Orthopedic Surgeon
- This three hour course will provide you with information about all the specialties listed listed below. We will also touch on other topics, including schooling/program requirements, getting into practice/the work force, and what a typical day is like. During the TRIA experience, you will hear about our philosophy on patient centered care, and a few of our unique programs, including a previously recorded ACL reconstruction. Our education coordinator will work with you to schedule a four hour observation to occur within 60 days of completion of this program.
- For additional information, visit http://www.tria.com/observation.aspx.
University of Minnesota Dental Preparation Course
- The Dental School Preparation Course offered at the University Of Minnesota School Of Dentistry is a 20-hour intensive program designed to prepare students for the field of Dentistry. The program consists of a series of hands-on preclinical exercises and laboratory procedures as well as lectures given by university faculty members, experts in their fields of teaching, research and practice. Additionally, students will have the opportunity to work with DentSim, the multi-million dollar advanced simulation technology and most advanced pre-clinical training tool to date. This intensive weekend course is valuable for students seeking a better understanding of dental school and the profession.
- For additional information, visit http://www.dentistry.umn.edu/programs-admissions/prep-course/.
Medical Scribes Info
- Geared toward juniors and seniors – SouthLS@emer-phys.com
- Full-time medical scribe positions in Owatonna, MN at Mayo Clinic (Rachael Carter, firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com,Website
Global Health Info
- St. Olaf Summer Research – Website
- Porterfield’s suggestions for summer research – PDF
- University of Massachusetts Medical, Worcester – Placement in a research laboratory; highly structured program includes housing and travel expenses and a generous stipend – Website
- University of Pittsburg – 1) The MIDAS (Models of Infectious Disease Agent Study) Summer Undergraduate Research program – Website, 2) The Summer Premedical Academic Enrichment Program – Website, 3) The Summer Undergraduate Research Program – Website
- Robert Wood Johnson Medical School – Summer Clinical Internship in New Brunswick, NJ – Website
- University of Michigan – Website
- Breakthrough Saint Paul – Paid summer teaching internship – Website
- Case Western Reserve University School of Medicine – Website
- University of Alabama at Birmingham – Website
- National Science Foundation research opportunities – Website
- Internships and summer research – Website
- Medically related summer programs by state – PDF